Wednesday 17 April 2013

One World – Many Choices


At Bicester Village, in a Michael Kors dress, Anne Klein merino wool and fox jacket, a MaxMara tights, shoes by Kurt Geiger, bag by Michael Kors, and glasses by Marc Jacobs

Last week I volunteered at a charity shop in North London where my remit on the day included moving clothes from one rail to another, to create space for new items, which came in big bags, and after being sorted and steamed by other volunteers, went onto a shop floor.  I also get to sell, and chat to customers. Many came looking for a bargain but not all left with a purchase despite keen prices and friendliness of the shop assistants. It was a truly enjoyable experience, and my heart was still with the charity when my husband and I visited Bicester Village a few days later.
Smart looking designer outlets, ranging from Gucci, Furla, Vivienne Westwood, DVF, and other empresses and sultans of style, were not – as one might expect - a world apart from a charity store. Yes, Valentino was selling a gorgeous lace and fur coat, reduced from £17,000 to £3,500 which couldn`t be compared with pre-loved Jaeger skirt which went for £4.50 in North London, but both shops  were manned by friendly sales teams who were knowledgeable about their stock and eager to please their customers. And as a patron of both, I was equally happy to purchase a blue, snakeskin- pattern blouse for £2.50 at a charity shop, as well as a chic Missoni coat at Bicester Village, priced accordingly to its quality and desirability. Cool colours make snakeskin design look contemporary, and I shall team it up with leather. As for my newly-acquired Missoni, it will provide a suave cover on cool summer mornings.

Bicester Village is a popular destination for many foreign visitors, but – similarly to what I observed at the charity shop – not many customers were partying with their cash. All were searching for bargains. My husband found an exquisite Versace suit (he is a perfect Italian size 50!) and we went to a well know American designer`s retailer to buy some cute little tops, as presents for forthcoming birthdays of two little `Ralph Lauren boys`.

No comments:

Post a Comment