Thursday 19 February 2015

Chinese New Year - the Year of the Goat

Thursday 19 February heralds the end of the year of the horse, and beginning of the year of goat, according to the ancient Chinese lunar calendar. Some refer to it as the year of the sheep. This confusion stems from a Chinese character, which can be translated in colloquial Chinese as either sheep or goat. Despite the slight difference in translation, goat is the most common animal found in any Chinese folklore.
Horse depicts leadership and astuteness and I loved celebrating the last Chinese New Year – the year of the horse – in 2014 in Singapore. I am wearing a Versace dress in this picture.  My bag is from Michael Kors and my sunglasses from Marc Jacobs. Singapore, together with Malaysia, Taiwan and other countries where there are significant Chinese populations, as well as China, put out elaborate celebrations for the lunar new year, also known as the `spring festival`.
This year, I am welcoming the year of the goat in London, over a festive meal. I am wearing a dress from James Lakeland. So what the goat, as the character will bring? The Chinese commonly regard the animal as auspicious, and therefore believe this new year proclaims a year of promise and prosperity. Compassion and peacefulness, as well as calm and gentleness are also important attributes. That is coupled with the goat`s inner strength, creativity and perseverance.  
 
Supposedly, the people who are born in the year of the goat enjoy the finer things in life, so let`s have a fabulous year, filled with grace and happiness!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know but is occasion to wishes you a good and funny year of goat!!! This is the first time I see your blog and is the first time that I write. I'm Eni, blogger from Italy. If you want, take a look at my blog and let me know what you think. Kisses,
    Eni

    Eniwhere Fashion
    Eniwhere Fashion Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your blog - very professional and full of beautiful images. Well done for producing high quality posts, and all the best! - Claudia x

    ReplyDelete