Thursday 4 June 2015

Arts and Antiques Fair in Lublin (Poland)

The last weekend of each month is reserved in Lublin, a picturesque city in eastern Poland, for a characterful arts and antiques fair, and I was lucky enough to experience this phenomena. Some traders had elaborate displays, like these fabulous, larger-than-life chandeliers.
Others displayed their wares on a pavement. Some traded in proper antiques, while others were selling objects that were dubious to say the least….not old enough to be classed as antiques and of questionable quality and provenance. However, the crowds loved it all and what might be seen as an unattractive junk by one person, may ignite another person`s imagination and become a real treasure.
I bought these massive earrings – the eyes close and open, depending on the movement of my head. I am certain these were taken from an old-fashioned doll. The earrings may not be the most glamorous of accessories I possess, but I like the oddity and uniqueness of my find.
 
The trade fair is conducted in two locations, a bigger and more prestigious is located in Lublin`s Old Town, and smaller, more quirky items are sold just a short distance away, close to the main, pedestrianised street called Krakowskie Przedmiescie.
 
What I particularly liked was a sheer number of stalls and abundance of artefacts on offer.  And a jolly atmosphere that underpins the charming and easy-going nature of Lublin`s residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment