Saturday 26 October 2013

Moschino is 30 years old

In Singapore, wearing an old Moschino belt, which perfectly complements my Manuel Canovas dress and a bag from Gucci

Franco Moschino had revolutionised the fashion world when he appeared on the scene 30 years ago, in 1983 with Moschino Couture! label.  With his individualistic take on what `stylish` should look like and his penchant for poking fun at the establishment of the era, he become one of the leading innovators of the late 80`s and early 90`s.  His original designs felt fresh and provocative – I still have a large tote bag from one of his earliest collections, with `no to racism` clearly spelt out in bold letters.
 
In a recently purchased Moschino dress in London

I started buying Moshino in the early 90`s and I never really stopped!  It felt so naughty, but also so `grown-up` to be able to splash out most of my hard earned cash on frivolous fashion finds, when I just started out in my working career. I still remember a day when my friend Melissa and I had trouble fitting in all the cardboard bags into her small car, parked on Sloan Street. Later on, I become so besotted with his swimwear collections that it prompted a purchase of our West African penthouse – after all, I had to have a reason to wear those lovelies somewhere!
This loose Moschino dress is casual yet chic and its colours look good in a bright light of West Africa
 
This Moschino dress is my trusted travelling companion – here with me in Dubai

Moschino`s death in 1994 didn`t diminish the popularity of his brand. Fortunately, his skilful former assistant Rossella Jardini has continued to create collections that are in keeping with his imaginative sense of style. Happy birthday Moschino!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment