Saturday 16 November 2013

A Myriad of Orchid Blooms!

The largest display of tropical orchids in the world is in the National Orchid Garden in Singapore. Some of the orchid hybrids are dedicated, and named after well-known personalities, and visiting dignitaries, for example Margaret Thatcher has her own but I couldn`t appreciate its tiny flowers ,I am afraid; the one featured in this photo – Dendrobium -  has been named in memory of Diana, Princess of Wales, on 22 September 1997.  Standing behind the orchid, I am wearing a simple t-shirt by Great Plains (I wouldn`t dare compete with the splendour of the blooms!) and an old belt by Moschino. Sunglasses are from Marc Jacobs, and skirt by Arianna.

Check out some of my favourites, which I came across on my visit! 
 
 
 
 
I always have orchids at home, but I discovered here that placing a mirror as a backdrop to these amazing flowers, makes the display even more enchanting – lesson learnt!
 
 
The orchids have been closely associated with the Singapore Botanic Gardens since 1859, and in 1928 the gardeners embarked on a breeding programme. As a result, right now, over 1,000 species and 2,000 hybrids are calling the National Orchid Garden its home.
 
As orchids are my favourite flowers, I was pleased to find out that in 1981 an exceptionally looking orchid, discovered by Miss Agnes Joaquim in her garden was chosen to be the national flower of Singapore.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment