Tuesday 12 November 2013

Chanel in London and Singapore

In early October I went to the London College of Fashion to see a collection of portraits of Coco Chanel, painted by an American artist Marion Pike, when the celebrated designer was an elderly woman.  She famously refused Pablo Piccasso's request to paint her but found a great friend in Californian artist Pike, whom she met in 1967 in Paris.
The exhibition also featured fine gowns and classic Chanel suits that the designer gave to the artist, as well as a few examples of their correspondence. Chanel was writing to Pike in French and I wonder, was Pike fluent in French?

Last year, while living in London, I invited two girlfriends to come with me to Karl Lagerfeld`s photo exhibition, entitled `The Little Black Jacket`; unfortunately, I fell ill with a nasty flu and couldn`t see it. So can you imagine my joy when I discovered that the very same exhibition followed me to Singapore! Yes, it is now at Marina Bay, and in early November I went to see  Lagerfeld`s favourite muses – actors, musicians, models, socialites, all wearing the iconic black tweed, while being photographed by the designer. Sometimes the jacket – unmistakable symbol of Chanel`s house – is casually draped over their shoulders, at other times, wrapped around their waists.

The images are very well styled and simply stunning. My husband and I amused ourselves by recreating poses in front of the originals, and photographing ourselves while `shadowing` the beautiful people.
I am wearing a Michael Kors dress and clogs by Chanel; handbag (just visible) - from Michael Kors

No comments:

Post a Comment