Monday 10 February 2014

Become a Millionaire in Bali!

I met not one but two gods of fortune in Balinese Denpasar International Airport and immediately become a millionaire! (My dress is by Marimekko, and my bag by Michael Kors).
I celebrated on Kuta`s surfing beach, with a backdrop of the Indian Ocean…..
……….and went shopping for serpents! (I am wearing a silk dress by Melissa Odabash and a Moschino swimsuit underneath)
 
I did not inherit a vast sum of money, nor did I won a lottery, or sold some super-lucrative company shares overnight. Bali, being part of Indonesia, uses the Indonesian currency, the Rupiah (Rp.) Banknotes come in a range of denominations, including the commonly available Rp.100,000, Rp.50,000, Rp.20,000 etc.  Prices go into thousands, and therefore you need to have millions with you if you want to enjoy yourself. For example my husband paid 104,000 for two Bintang beers, which he had at Johnny Rockets in Kuta Beach Walk while I was shopping. A glass of Sav Blanc cost me 55,000 in Lemongrass Thai Restaurant, while in a hotel you would pay 95,000 for the same drink. Snake-skin handbags cost in excess of a million and even a taxi trip from the airport cost us 80,000.
 
Bargaining is customary at markets and small shops, so I was in my element, and thoroughly enjoyed staying on this captivating island.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment