Tuesday 15 April 2014

Prokofiev`s Paintings Inspired by Father`s Music

It is not a well-known fact that Oleg Prokofiev, the second son of Sergei Prokofiev (the composer) was a talented painter and sculptor.
Sporting my new coloured hair, and wearing a leather dress from M&S, I went to the opening of the artist`s exhibition in London`s Hay Hill Gallery.
Above: Red Ancestor – oil on canvas. I wasn`t taken by his efforts from the 60`s and early 70`s; too much greys and whites and not enough definition for my liking.
Above: Garden Studio – acrylic on canvas. However, I found the pieces that were influenced by – amongst others – Rothko, more appealing. Prokofiev`s brightly coloured line paintings are more dynamic and therefore easier on the eye.


In the 80`s he also started creating organic constructivist sculptures.  
 
Kudos to Hay Hill Gallery for hosting the retrospective; it is open until 26 April.
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment