Friday 21 June 2013

Behind Scenes at Revenge Wears Prada Launch


Lauren Weisberger (on the right) and I (on the left); she signed my copy with her name and `xx`
The Amika Nightclub in South Molton Street was heaving with fabulous women; all were dressed in black, and keen to try on bright yellow stilettoes. I looked around and started chatting to my fellow `promo-girls`. We all had to sign a disclaimer, preventing us from claiming compensation for any injury caused by sashaying through a black carpet in five inch tall heels, which were given to us by the organisers at the beginning of this event. I grabbed a bottle of still mineral water which was cooling off, alongside Coca-Cola and Red Bull in silver containers, and gave my own shoes to one of the organisers who placed them inside a box, marked it with my name and piled it up on top of other boxes. My yellow stilettos were fab. Not particularly comfortable but they are not – by default – worn for relaxation. I received my race number – 30 – and it was pinned up on my front and back.
I am wearing a James Lakeland dress, and a Gucci bag

-  `Hold onto a rail` – instructed a professional nurse, when we were leaving the nightclub through a steep staircase.

She was hired to provide first aid - if needed -  but thankfully I only saw her distributing a few plasters for blisters, and not dealing with anything more serious.
We all came to South Molton Street this lunchtime to support the launch of a new book written by Lauren Weisberger, the author of a bestselling novel `The Devil Wears Prada`. Today, Lauren and HarperCollins publishers were launching a hotly anticipated sequel, entitled `Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns`.  I was among forty or so volunteers who agreed to strut along a 50 meter black carpet, ogled by a crowd of passers-by and papped by an army of lens-wielding paparazzi.
Capital`s FM Lisa Snowdon, who was expertly flashing her long, tanned pins, hosted the event. We were grouped into six heats, each containing six stiletto-wearing participants. Each group power-walked through the black carpet, trying to look glam but also marching fast, as the first one to reach a finish line – marked by a yellow ribbon – was declared a winner of the group.

- `Number 30 have a nice wiggle` – commented Lisa, when I was powering down the black carpet.
I came third in my group. The winners from each heat took part in a grand finale, with one strutter eventually declared winner. A trip to New York was a main prize but we all came away with a generous goody bags, full of treats from Vidal Sassoon, Elemis, Nails Inc, Ted Baker, Handel House Museum, and Monica Vinader.....and more. And – of course – a signed copy of the new book, as well as our very own yellow stilettos!

No comments:

Post a Comment