Tuesday 27 August 2013

Weird and Wonder-Food


My husband brought home this peculiar-looking vegetable, which his friend harvested from his allotment. Its name is tromboncino  - `little trumpet` in Italian - also known as zucchetta. It is a type of squash, some varieties of which are also called marrows. Our specimen is 33 inches long and smells of fresh soil. We were advised to shallow fry it in polenta.

I aim to eat as varied food as possible, and I never diet. I don`t believe anything should be forbidden, on contrary, I eat everything: white bread, meat, cheese, fish, chocolate, pasta, fruit…..anything in moderation. I believe 80% of our diet should be healthy choices, and additional 20% ought to consist of `guilty pleasures`. Let`s not be however fooled by media hype about benefits of some varieties, which – on close inspection – aren`t any good, like – for example – breakfast cereals, which are processed food. A lot of fruits have high sugar content and therefore a fruit-based diet is also not particularly beneficial. As for tromboncino, I`ve heard that if left to ripen, it can grow over three feet in length (!) A friend of ours suggested it looked like an `exotic dildo`, and another said it reminded her of a `spastic banana`. Well, I can`t wait to find out what it tastes like.

No comments:

Post a Comment