Wednesday 10 September 2014

The World of Rick Owens at Selfridges

I popped out for a Starbuck`s coffee and ended up – as you do – at Selfridges….. where else? After a quick catch up with my dummy friend at Tom Ford, I went to see Rick Owens exclusive 20-piece fashion collection created solely for Selfridges, as part of a larger happening, called `The Masters`.  I am wearing a Moschino dress and a Missoni wrap. My bag is from Michael Kors.
Rick Owens - born Richard Saturnino Owens - is an American fashion designer, known for making grunge glamorous. He is the undisputed master of leather jackets and androgynous silhouettes. 
I didn`t expect to be greeted by this ginormous curio at the Concept Store, which hosts carefully curated compilation of Rick Owens clothes, jewellery, books and homeware.
My guide through the collection was this charming New Yorker, Eric. 
He explained that these astounding chairs were made from authentic antlers; they were individually numbered – a limited edition of only eight. The price was eye-watering but the quality and quirkiness rendered them almost priceless.
Black dominated the colour palette, and one would not expect anything else from the designer who celebrates `gothic romanticism`.
A quick reminder to Rick Owens aficionados - on 13 September from 6pm, the designer will be signing his limited edition coffee table book, which can be purchased from the Concept Store at Selfridges.

This year Rick Owens - Master of the Elements – celebrates 20 years of his creativity. I may not fully embrace or understand his vision but I strongly believe his street-style would gain me maximum impact while I put minimum effort into dressing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment